Job opening:

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:30:36 UTC 2008

Sociolinguistics: Asst Prof, University of Victoria, BC, Canada

University or Organization: University of Victoria
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Web Address: http://www.uvic.ca/ling/
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Victoria invites
applications for an entry-level tenure-track Assistant Professor in
sociolinguistics beginning 1 July 2009. By the time of appointment
applicants are expected to have a PhD in Linguistics with a specialization
in sociolinguistics, and a secondary specialization in an area that builds
on the department's strengths. The sub-areas within sociolinguistics that
are most compatible with our department's vision are those informed by
empirical research in areas such as language and identity, endangered
language studies, language variation and change, language and culture, or
social discourse. Please address your secondary specialization in your
letter of application. We are seeking candidates with an excellent record
of scholarly achievement and a commitment to excellence in undergraduate
and graduate teaching.

The responsibilities of this position include MA and PhD student
supervision and teaching in our undergraduate and graduate programs. Our
department has particular strengths in linguistic description and theory,
speech production and perception, second language and applied linguistics
research, community-based research, and languages of the Pacific Rim,
including Asian and North American languages. We seek an individual with
the ability to contribute strongly to the research profile of the
department and its administrative functions. Collaborative,
interdisciplinary research, teaching, and program development are also
encouraged.

Applicants should send, in hard copy, a letter of application, curriculum
vitae, 2-4 publication samples, a teaching statement plus copies of
teaching evaluations, and the names and e-mail addresses of three referees
to the application address listed below.

Phone: (250) 721-7422
Fax: (250) 721-7423
Email: esling at uvic.ca

The University of Victoria is consistently one of Canada's most highly
ranked comprehensive universities. The Department of Linguistics has newly
developed lab facilities and the services of a full-time
programmer-consultant supporting our teaching and research missions.

The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages
applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities,
Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and
others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance
with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent
residents will be given priority.

Application Deadline: 17-Nov-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
Dr. John Esling