McCain should pledge to Make English Official Language

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at wichita.edu
Fri Jul 18 20:00:11 UTC 2008

Harold Schiffman wrote:
> McCain should pledge to Make English Official Language
> by K.C. McAlpin
> Posted 07/17/2008 ET
> Updated 07/17/2008 ET
>

> McCain could take a page from colleagues
> like Sen. James Inhofe (R.-Okla.), who introduced the S.I. Hayakawa
> Official English Act, named after the late senator from California
Wow! Take a page from Sen. Inhofe! According to Wikipedia, this is
Inhofe's profile:

"Inhofe is one of the most conservative
</topic/conservatism-in-the-united-states> members of either house of
Congress (the eighth-most conservative Senator, according to the March
2007 National Journal rankings of Liberal/Conservative members of
Congress^[6] <#wp-_note-5> ); among other political stances, he strongly
opposes abortion </topic/abortion>.

"As a member of the Armed Services Committee, he was among the panelists
questioning witnesses about the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse
</topic/abu-ghraib-torture-and-prisoner-abuse-1>. There he made news by
claiming he was "outraged by the outrage" over the revelations of abuse,
suggesting that shock at the crimes was more offensive than the crimes
themselves. He has also criticized the Red Cross </topic/red-cross> as a
"bleeding heart </topic/bleeding-heart>". In 2006, Inhofe was one of
only nine senators to vote against the McCain Detainee Amendment
</topic/mccain-detainee-amendment> banning torture </topic/torture> on
individuals in U.S. Government
</topic/federal-government-of-the-united-states> custody^[7]
<#wp-_note-6> ^[8] <#wp-_note-7> .

"Against the wishes of the Bush administration </topic/george-w-bush>,
the Pentagon </topic/defense-department-of>, and the American Petroleum
Institute </topic/american-petroleum-institute>, Inhofe has persistently
blocked American ratification </topic/ratification> of the international
Convention on the Law of the Sea
</topic/united-nations-convention-on-the-law-of-the-sea>, claiming that
the treaty </topic/treaty> would infringe on American sovereignty
</topic/sovereignty>.

"Inhofe's consistent citing of the Bible </topic/bible> as the source
for his stances on various political issues, such as gay rights
</topic/lgbt-social-movements>, abortion </topic/abortion> and United
States' support of Israel </topic/israel>^[9] <#wp-_note-8> has made him
very popular among Christian fundamentalists."

And, of course, Hayakawa is best remembered for pulling the plug on free
speech at the San Francisco State University and falling asleep at his
desk in the Senate.