France: deputies vote for ?regional? language recognition amidst strong UN criticism

Siegel, Jason F. siegeljf at indiana.edu
Mon Jun 2 15:05:08 UTC 2008

I'm aware that this reply is late, but it took me a while to find the
reference. Jean-Marie Pontier points out in a 2003 book chapter that in
the discussion of the Loi Toubon, which established French as the
official language of France, there was at least one parlementarian who
wanted to add the phrase "avec le respect et la considération pour les
langues régionales" (with respect and consideration for regional
languages). So the idea of recognizing the regional languages in French
law is not new.

--Jason
--
Jason F. Siegel
Ph.D. Student, Linguistics & French Linguistics
siegeljf at indiana.edu