Ahom language not dead

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 13:30:23 UTC 2008

to All interested parties:

 Ahom language being declared dead by many linguists and writers
during the last 19th century has its roots still left on a small hill
in the Naga territory even today.  Assam being a state of India which
speaks of the mighty Ahom rulers 12th-19th century where many
scholars, writers, linguist and so on, tried to decipher the lost
language (Ahom), but the fact is that the present population speaks a
mixture of Bengali-Hindi-Other(s) which is now known as the
'Assamese', unlike the original Ahom script written in the barks, skin
etc.  Fortunately, we've been preserving our history and geneaology
through oral tradition passed down from our fore-fathers. We have
never been conquered by other advancing tribes nor followed their
traditions as well our language altered, unlike Assam state which is
infiltrated by many advanced cultures like Hinduism, Buddism, Muslims
etc.  Assam is now trying its best to revive its lost language for the
last 100 years but yielded no satisfactory translations of the script.
I happened to read B.J.Terwiel book on Ahom language where he studied
the Ahom language from various angles that he had to say that the
language was dead which drew my attention wherein a translated 2 line
script talking about the primordial state of affairs.  In my opinion,
that's not so according to our language. The pronunciation of the
words exactly matches the meanings and phrases of our fore-fathers
time which has a deeper meanings than what was thought by many
scholars and teachers in Assam and elsewhere.  I beg if anyone ready
to help me and this small population fading away to non-existence.

Dr Wati Pangrakri <drwatiaoyahoo.com>

http://linguistlist.org/issues/19/19-1839.html