Former Soviet Union: The East looks West

Rusiko Amirejibi-Mullen r.amirejibi-mullen at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 15:50:11 UTC 2008

Some Georgian parents thought Russian was stll important and were
taking their children to this school number 9 of the Ministry of
Defense of the Russian Federation (located in Tbilisi). One day Russia
got angry at Georgia for arresting Russian spies and on October 4,
2006 pupils and teachers who studie and worked at  school # 9 found a
notice:
? Distinguished  parents, from October 4, 2006  studies for the
citizens of Georgia at our school have been terminated.?

 From this school 70 pupils ? citizens of Georgia and 25 teachers have
summarily been discharged.  In addition, at school number 17 in
Batumi, Georgia, 30 pupils have been dismissed without explanation.