Gender neutrality and language

Dennis Baron debaron at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 2 01:52:24 UTC 2008

It's not so much "If English was good enough for Jesus..." -- most of
English-first arguments focus on English as the language of America's
civic sacred texts, the Constitution, Declaration of Independence,
sometimes extended to the Federalist Papers, the Star-Spangled
Banner, and the Pledge of Allegiance, as well as the U.S. Code (the
set of federal laws).  The argument is that no one can understand the
meaning of American democracy unless they can read such documents in
the original -- and this is typically argued by those pious souls who
get their own religion in translation because they can't understand
Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, or Latin, not to mention Arabic or Sanskrit.

However there are official English and religion comments, too, and I
just came across one this week, when I tracked down what has been
called the "Babel Proclamation."  On May 23, 1918, William Harding,
Gov. of Iowa, issued a proclamation banning the use of foreign
languages in public in Iowa.  This was, of course, in response to the
US entering WWI in April, 1917.  Harding's proclamation contains 4
operative provisions:

1. English should and must be the only medium of instruction in
public, private, denominational or other similar schools.
2. Conversation in public places should be in the English language.
3. All public addresses should and must be in the English language.
4. Let those who cannot speak or understand the English language
conduct their religious worship in their homes.

Commenting to a reporter on his proclamation, Harding is quoted as
insisting, “There is no use in anyone wasting his time praying in
other languages than English. God is listening only to the English
tongue.”   Several days after Harding issued his proclamation, former
Pres. Theodore Roosevelt spoke in Des Moines in support of the
governor's order.  It was during this speech at the end of May that
Roosevelt told the crowd, “This is a nation, not a polyglot boarding
house,” an expression that is still invoked by English-only supporters.

Many Iowa churches rushed to comply with Harding's English-only
order, but in Dec., 1918, after the war had ended, Harding rescinded
the proclamation.

Dennis