Gender neutrality and language

Ann Evans annevans123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 02:12:54 UTC 2008

It's interesting that this post has degenerated into a religious discussion
when something extremely pertinent is at hand.  How are we to express the
gender-neutral pronoun?  I tell my classes that it will be up to them to
figure this one out, but I would like to be a of a little more help to them
than that.  Is it true that "they" was once legitimately the gender-neutral
third-person singular pronoun?  How else, other than rewriting sentences,
can this issue be resolved.  One posting recently mentioned "yo" as a
gender-neutral pronoun, but I don't see that catching on.  Any other
inventions lately?

Ann