Ireland: PCD enrollees asked to sign up to school's all-Irish policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 15:12:50 UTC 2008

PCD enrollees asked to sign up to school's all-Irish policy

The school is currently facing the threat of two High Court actions
over its language policy. One of these is being taken by parents who
oppose the school?s all-Irish policy. The second is being taken by
parents who contend that the school?s all-Irish policy is not being
strictly enforced. Last month PCD Principal Pádraig Firtéar wrote to
parents of prospective students outlining the school's commitment to
an all-Irish policy. His letter states: 'It is a Gaeltacht school
operating through the medium of Irish. Those children with little
Irish will be helped and supported in every way to improve their Irish
language skills.'

The enrolment form accompanying the letter ends with the declaration:
'I have read and I understand and accept the school enrolment policy.'
Parents are asked to sign this acceptance and return the form to the
school by March 14. Some parents are concerned that by signing the
form they will relinquish all hope of a bi-lingual education for their
children in Dingle. They also believe that by signing the form they
will be undermining any potential legal action against the school's
all-Irish policy. 'It's a case of being damned if we do and damned if
we don't,' was how one parent described their dilemma to The Kerryman
this week.

Their main concern is that their child will be unable to cope with a
compulsory Irish education and will have to be educated elsewhere.
On Tuesday The Kerryman asked Mr Firtéar for his reaction to these
concerns. 'Basically, we have sent parents all the information about
the school and its policy and we want to help children in every way
possible,' he replied.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/pcd-enrollees-asked-to-sign-up-to-schools-allirish-policy-1308447.html