Abkhazia Appeals for World Recognition

Rusiko Amirejibi-Mullen r.amirejibi-mullen at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 19:06:06 UTC 2008

Below is President Saakashvili full statement about Russia's decision
to pull out from the 1996 CIS treaty:

"Russian officials at all levels have been warning us that they
planned to respond to the United States and western [policy] towards
Kosovo by [undertaking actions] in respect of Georgia, in respect of
Abkhazia.

Hence, it is not simply an action undertaken against Georgia, but it
is [Russia?s] demarche against the west in general and the North
Atlantic alliance and the United States; this is what we have been
directly told when we visited Moscow [in February]. In the light of
our recent hopes and readiness to improve bilateral relations, such a
development now is very regretful.

We should say the following: firstly, lifting sanctions off Abkhazia
and before that distributing Russian passports to the residents of
Abkhazia ? to those population who remain in Abkhazia and they
constitute less than 20% of Abkhazia?s overall [pre-armed conflict]
population, because over 80% of Abkhazia?s population has been
expelled from there as a result of the 20th century?s one of the most
brutal and forgotten ethnic cleansing ? is immoral and illegal action
undertaken against the international law and humanity.

I want to tell each and every legal entity, or person in Russia, who
think or are already investing in Abkhazia, or are engaged in any type
of economic transaction in Abkhazia: these are assets, which belong to
ethnic Georgians, ethnic Russians, ethnic Jews, ethnic Greeks, ethnic
Ukrainians, ethnic Estonians; and I want to tell these people
[refugees and internally displaced persons from Abkhazia] that I give
them a word that they will be able to get these assets back. And I
promise those in Russia who are willing to illegally purchase those
assets, that these assets will be confiscated. This is a categorical
warning of the Georgian President, who has a legal right to take this
action.

The second and major issue: this action [pulling out from the 1996 CIS
treaty] is extremely dangerous provocation aimed at destabilizing the
region and entire Caucasus and at triggering totally uncontrolled
developments. Georgia will spare nor efforts to prevent this type of
scenario.

These sanctions, first and foremost, envisaged sanctions on importing
military hardware, as well as sanctions on deployment of Russian, or
foreign military instructors and military forces [in Abkhazia]. As a
result [lifting these sanctions] Russia has actually took a course
towards creating threat of militarization of this region.

Today I want to strictly state the position of the Georgian
authorities: we are declaring policy of zero tolerance towards
deployment of armed forces, military hardware, military instructors
and mercenaries in Abkhazia. We are declaring policy of zero tolerance
towards militarization of Abkhazia.

Russia and its authorities will be fully responsible for all the
consequences of the launch and deepening of Abkhazia?s militarization.
I want to reiterate that destabilization is not in the interests of
Georgia and we are ready to openly work with the international
community to prevent complications. But I think that turning Georgia?s
one of the parts into hostage of the geopolitical games is
uncalculated and dangerous step, first and foremost, for the
initiators of this step. I think this is very wrong step, very immoral
step and very provocative action.

I want to call for consolidation, calmness; I want to call for being
organized and watchful.

The Georgian-Russian border lies on the Psou river [dividing Russia
from Abkhazia] and we have never allowed anyone to cross that border
illegally and to undertake any unilateral actions without the consent
of the Georgian government. All those actions are against the Georgian
legislature and the norms of international law.

I think we should continue working with our partners, with our
friends, international community. We should continue our course
towards integration to the North Atlantic alliance, towards preparing
for NATO summit in Bucharest [this April]. It is not just a
coincidence that these actions [by Russia] are undertaken just now
ahead of the Bucharest summit. Georgia should not be derailed from its
strategic course."