Turkey: The objective was to get rid of all Armenians

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 17:14:17 UTC 2008

Saturday, 8 March 2008The objective was to get rid of all Armenians
[for those of you have missed Taner Akcam UK lectures, here's areprint of an interview from The Armenian Reporter of 16 February]
The objective was to get rid of all ArmeniansInterview by Efnan Atmaca
On January 25, the Turkish dailyRadikal published an extensiveinterview with Taner Akçam on his new book, The Armenian Issue IsResolved: Policies Against the Armenians During the War YearsAccording to Ottoman Documents. The book sold out within the firstweek of publication in Turkey. The title is a direct quote from TalaatPasha. The text of the interview, translated from the Turkish byFatima Sakarya, appears below with permission. It has been exactly oneyear since the assassination of Hrant Dink. Last Saturday, on thisfirst anniversary, tens of thousands gathered once again "For Hrant,For Justice." Taner Akçam, whose book, Ermeni Meselesi Hallolunmuştur["The Armenian Issue Is Resolved"] opens up the debate about whatoccurred in 1915 with new documentation, has also just been published,and Akçam, who dedicates the book to "my brother Hrant, who willalways represent the nobility and virtue of having a conscience… DearHrant, everything is as we had spoken…," both memori!
 alized his friendand brought a new viewpoint to the matter. By building connections,one by one, among new records he was able to obtain, Akçam brings newperspectives to the policies which were enforced against Armenians in1915. In his book, subtitled Policies Against the Armenians During theWar Years According to Ottoman Documents, while revealing each of themany telegrams sent by Talat Pasha, Akcam states that the deportationof 1915 was the last stage of the Turkification policies of thatperiod. In particular, supported by primary sources, he explains howthis project was personally developed well in advance by Talat Pashaand put into action through the efforts of the Teşkilat- I Mahsusa(Special Organization). One of the most crucial documents in the book,the one which gives the book its title, is a telegram from TalatPasha: "The Armenian issue is resolved. There's no need to stain thenation and the government with extra atrocities."
Q: The events of 1915 are a huge controversy. The opposing sides ofthe controversy continually claim to possess and then publishimportant documents, and argue about whether or not to open up theOttoman archives …On the other side, there are others who state thatin writing about history a "document cult" shouldn't be created andthat the process shouldn't be reduced to a war of documents. Meanwhileyour book is completely based upon documentation…What and how canrecords tell us anything?
Taner Akçam: If you are being open and honest, historical records caneasily provide a general framework for how events occurred. Still, youneed to distinguish here between two separate points. First of all,the main issue is the frame, the model you are creating when you aregathering these documents. Secondly is the question of how much do therecords you're presenting truly reflect reality. If someone possessesan understanding of history that is nationalistic and racist, thehistory they write will reflect that, and by discriminating in thechoice of records, they will try to prove that position. Additionally,the records you find and use are products of the ideological andpolitical beliefs of the period in which they were produced. It is forthat reason that the question "What is the truth?" is the subject ofsuch serious argument in historical scholarship. One thing is certain,though. The thing called "the truth" is not a thing, not a treasurethat is buried somewhere in the gro!
 und and it is up to us to dig itup. For example, if a hundred years from now, you were to research thebombing of the Umut Kitabevi (Umut Publishing House) in Şemdinli in2005, you would find plenty of state documents asserting that thepublishing house had been bombed by the PKK. [Translator's note: Thebookstore was bombed by army officers, but law enforcement forcesproduced some documents to claim that it was the PKK that bombed thebookstore.] Keeping these two things in mind, nevertheless the placeto start is the historic records. You have no other choice. Theimportant thing is to maintain a critical eye when examining anyparticular document or body of documents. First of all, in order todefend your thesis, you need to present a series of records that isboth comprehensive and widespread. Secondly, there should be acontinuous "balance and control" relationship between the records youare presenting and the argument you are trying to make. This isprecisely what makes history !
 a social science. The use of deep andvaried sources of material along
with total honesty are the twocrucial elements of historical study.
Q: How important are the records in this book?