"English--the richest, most expressive language in the world"

Rusiko Amirejibi-Mullen r.amirejibi-mullen at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 15:24:16 UTC 2008

Beliefs of language qualities are widely held in Georgia. The reason
for this, in my opinion, comes out from the psalm written in tenth
century by the Georgian hymnography Ioane Zosime 'Praise and
Glorification of the Georgian Language', stating that ?our language
has been singled out above all others for a special destiny?.   This
is because,  ?Buried is the Georgian language as a martyr until the
day of the Messiah?s second coming, so that God may look at every
language through this language . . . And this language, beautified and
blessed by the name of the Lord, humble and afflicted, awaits the day
of the second coming of the Lord?? In 1980s this hymn spawned
messianic tendencies in Georgia.  The messianic role of the Georgian
language still remains widespread and sustains beliefs of superiority
over other languages.