Benin: BNC makes case for Edo language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:14:17 UTC 2008

BNC makes case for Edo language policy

Written by Simon Ebegbulem
Tuesday, 25 March 2008

THE Benin National Congress (BNC) a socio-cultural organisation in Edo
State, has urged the state House of Assembly to prevail on the
relevant authorities in the state to implement the Edo language policy
in all private and public schools, so as to save the cultural heritage
of the Binis from extinction The Congress through a letter addressed
to the Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Mr Zakawanu Garuba,
signed by its National President, Mr Aiyamenkhue Edokpolo, lamented
that non-teaching of the  subject as well as the significance of the
cultural heritage such as dancing steps, artifact, moats, dresses and
historical tales has in no small measure denied the younger
generations of the essence of enculturation.

It pointed out that Edo language was listed among the languages to
extinct before the year 2020 by the United National Education,
Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) report of last year,
saying that since the emergence of that report, governments and
concerned groups across the globe have been articulating ways to save
their heritage from the "sad prediction". "As a cultural heritage
group, we hold our people the duty to raise the stake for the safety
of our heritage hence our resolve to humbly appeal to you to ensure
that not only is Edo language taught in our schools, it must be made
compulsory for every student of Edo State origin to secure a pass as a
promotional yardstick" it stated.

 According to the letter, the "primary aim of this letter is to
solicit your intervention by way of giving effect or life to Edo
Language policy which exists in our primary and post primary school
curricula, because it is laughable and denigrating that our younger
generations lack the basic knowledge both historical and contemporary
of our linguistic status and significance both as a race and a
society. "Edo people particularly those resident abroad have sustained
the good pressure on us to make the humble appeal for your
intervention on the collective behalf of Edo people. We are sure that
if a public sitting is conducted on this issue, the turnout of
patriotic Edo people on this issue will be very re-assuring" it said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5417&Itemid=44