Opening of National Museum of Language, Saturday 3 May

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Fri May 2 03:09:58 UTC 2008

FYI, I also posted something short about this at
http://donosborn.org/blog/2008/04/30/national-museum-of-language/ . It is
small but worthy of support. It also seems that "language museum" (however
termed) is an emerging category of institution/learning-center that can
provide physical places for popular education and appreciation of language
(along the lines discussed by David Crystal as "locations to visit"), and
also serve as foci for applied activities and outreach.

Earlier in this International Year of Languages I was (admittedly a bit
presumptuously) proposing the idea of a sort of high level meeting of
existing language museum projects as a way of sharing ideas and approaches,
perhaps clarifying some general themes or standards, and establishing a
network for mutual aid. Unfortunately I ran into some roadblocks and simply
haven't had the time to devote to this. Eventually it will happen I'm sure,
without need for an outside would-be catalyst, but sooner would be better.

Wrt the topic of this list - maybe there will be some role for language
museums in public education about language policies and planning.

Don Osborn