New NAEP report--National Indian Education Study 2007 Part I

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed May 21 00:27:40 UTC 2008

 Forwarded From lmresearch at lmri.ucsb.edu

   UC Linguistic Minority Research Institute

[image: Logo]

UC LMRI Home Page <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/>
Events <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/events/index.php>
Research <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/research/index.php>
Publications <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/publications/index.php>
Resources <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/resources/index.php>
Educators <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/educators/index.php>
Policy <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/policy/index.php>
En Español <http://www.lmri.ucsb.edu/enespanol/index.php>

 National Indian Education Study 2007 Part I: Performance of American Indian
and Alaska Native Students at Grades 4 and 8 on NAEP 2007 Reading and
Mathematics Assessments

*
**The 2007 National Indian Education Study (NIES) was conducted by the
National Center for Education Statistics on behalf of the U.S. Department of
Education, Office of Indian Education. This report presents the results for
Part I of the study focusing on the perfor-mance of American Indian and
Alaska Native (AI/AN) fourth- and eighth-graders on the 2007 National
Assessment of Educational Progress in reading and mathematics.*

In 2007 at both grades, AI/AN students attending schools in which less than
25 percent of the students were AI/AN scored higher than their peers
attending schools with higher concentrations of AI/AN students, and those
attending public schools scored higher than their peers in Bureau of Indian
Education schools.

While the overall average reading scores for AI/AN students were lower than
the scores for non-AI/AN students at both grades in 2007, they were not
consistently lower than the scores for all racial/ethnic groups.

More >> <http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/nies/>

For a searchable database of more than 500 past reports, see:
http://lmri.ucsb.edu/publications/researchreports.php

Russell W. Rumberger, Director
UC Linguistic Minority Research Institute (http://lmri.ucsb.edu)
California Dropout Research Project (http://lmri.ucsb.edu/dropouts)
Email: russ at lmri.ucsb.edu
Phone:  805-893-2250
Fax:  805-893-8673
South Hall, Room 4722
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3220

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a