Education policy in Kansas

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at wichita.edu
Thu May 29 17:34:24 UTC 2008

Once again we have the urban legend repeated that in August 1999 the Kansas
state board of education banned the teaching of evolution. Let me be clear.
The board has no power to dictate what is taught in Kansas public K-12
schools; that is ultimately decided by the local school districts. What the
board does is set the state-wide tests. Questions over evolution are
actually a minuscule part of these state science tests. What the
conservative-dominated board did in 1999 was to remove these questions.
Their action had no discernable effect on the teaching of evolution, and
the questions were reinstated when the board membership changed in August 2000.