Dagestanian Lezghins now refugees in Georgia

Rusiko Amirejibi-Mullen r.amirejibi-mullen at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Nov 7 09:30:24 UTC 2008

Dagestanian Lezghins now refugees in Georgia

Gela Mtivlishvili, KakhetiHRIDC , November 4

Tens of Lezghins have come from Dagestan to Kakheti District, Georgia
in the last few days. They are being sheltered with their relatives
and acquaintances in Lezghian settlements (three villages in the
Kvareli district). The North Caucasian refugees state that the
situation in Makhachkala District and all of Dagestan has become
tensed. The local law enforcers under the military government
instruction are under duress recruiting young men between the ages of
18-38 years old into army and those who resist serving are
arrested.Magamed Khaibulaev, a Lezghin who has just arrived in
Georgia, told us that no one gave any explanation on why the young men
are being recruited. The Dagenstanians see some connection between the
compulsory recruitment and Georgian-Russian conflict and military
activities in the region of Ingushetia.?Compulsory recruitment started
on October 20. Local law enforcers came to our houses and informed us
that they were instructed to recruit young men. They gave us one day
to prepare to join the army. We have heard that military groups are
being formed in Dagestan. Some of the groups that are being formed are
staffed with inexperienced green soldiers and they are then deployed
to Tskhinvali, and those who had previously been in the army are sent
to Ingushetia. Most men refuse to join the army and serve to do any
military service. Those who failed to arrive to Georgia are hiding out
in Dagestan. People are hiding in forests,? states our
respondent.Another Lezghian man who declined from revealing his
identity said that his brother A.M., 29 could not manage to escape and
the police took him to force him to join the army.
?My brother and his two friends managed to escape from Makhachkala
Military Commissariat. I spoke with my mother several days ago. She
said my brother and his friends have been hiding in forest for over a
week now. Criminal cases are opened for those putting up resistance to
the police,? stated the inhabitant of Makhachkala.Some young Lizghians
who have recently arrived to Georgia were actually born in Georgia,
and some of them hold double citizenship, which gives them rights and
responsibilities of both countries.Lezghians live in Tivi, Saruso and
Chantliskuri- three villages of the Kvareli District