South Africa: Language policy in prayers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:04:47 UTC 2008

Sunday, November 25, 2007
Morning Prayers

This is T. She led our prayers in Church this morning. She began by
reading Psalm 27 in English -- and read it as though she meant it, and
she surely did: "Though war break out against me, even then will I be
confident." She added a few words of personal testimony -- then said
her whole prayer in Sotho! She said, "I'll be praying in Sotho. But
don't warry, I WILL be praying for you all." OBSERVATION: Normally we
encourage people to pray only the smaller part of a prayer in their
own language if, like Sotho, it is unknown to most.