South Africa: more language policy in prayers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:06:06 UTC 2008

Sunday, November 9, 2008
Language Slip
I felt that I made one "sin of omission" with regard to our service
this morning. I probably shouldn't have taken for granted (as I did)
that my "language policy" was understood by our domestic workers --
namely that all items should at the very least be introduced in
English. English is the only language that binds us all (or almost
all!) in the Church. More than half of the items in Church this
morning (if one discounts hymns) were in Afrikaans or Xhosa.
OBSERVATION: Here's another post on the language issue in our Church:

http://thomasscarborough.blogspot.com/2007/11/morning-prayers.html

-- http://thomasscarborough.blogspot.com/2008/11/domestics-service-3.html