"Preserving Louisiana French as Living Language"

Donald Z. Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Fri Oct 10 16:01:42 UTC 2008

FYI, from the Tulane University paper, New Wave:

Preserving Louisiana French as Living Language
September 19, 2008
http://tulane.edu/news/newwave/091908_la_french.cfm
Fran Simon
fsimon(at)tulane.edu

[photo inset: "Tom Klingler, associate professor of French, is
collaborating with a member of the faculty at Louisiana State
University to develop online tutorials for people to learn Creole or
Cajun French. (Photo by Paula Burch-Celentano)"]

Tom Klingler, an expert in linguistics and French spoken in Louisiana,
receives beaucoup e-mail inquiries from people around the world who
want to learn how to speak Louisiana Creole. To help meet the demand
for instruction in language that isn?t commonly taught, Klingler is
developing an online tutorial program.

An associate professor of French at Tulane, Klingler speaks Louisiana
Creole French fluently, though has never taught others how to speak it.

?There is no textbook,? he says. ?So I have to create the materials.?

With funding from a grant from the Louisiana Board of Regents,
Klingler is collaborating with Amanda Lafleur at Louisiana State
University, who is an expert in Cajun French.

According to Klingler, Creole and Cajun French are not simply dialects
of traditional French; they differ in vocabulary and grammatical
structure as well as pronunciation.

There are perhaps fewer than 200,000 people who speak these languages,
says Klingler, who chairs the Tulane Department of French and Italian.
In contrast, more than seven million people speak the Creole French
that is spoken by Haitians. Tulane offers courses in Haitian Creole.

Klingler considers himself a preservationist, but documenting
Louisiana Creole French is more than an academic interest. He says the
loss of any language is a significant loss of cultural heritage.

?They should be saved because there?s a demand to learn these
languages,? Klingler says. ?Many people of Creole background are
people of color who live outside of Louisiana because of outmigration
due to discrimination in the South. They want to reconnect with their
Louisiana roots. They remember their grandparents speaking these
languages, and they want to get their heritage back.?

Developing self-paced tutorials in Creole or Cajun French is a massive
task. Klingler and LaFleur are in the third year of the project. Clay
McGovern and Gina Allen of Tulane?s Innovative Learning Center are
taking the materials produced by the professors and designing the
technology for the tutorials. Part of the tutorials will be audio
recordings of Louisiana natives speaking their languages, accompanied
by photographs of the people who are talking. Once the tutorials go
?live? they will be free to anyone who wants to learn these languages.

?I?ve made my career by studying Louisiana French,? Klingler says. ?I
feel an obligation to take what I?ve gathered from the Louisiana
Creole community and make it available to the general public and
people of Creole heritage.?

Klingler is the author of If I Could Turn My Tongue Like That: The
Creole Language of Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana and coauthor of the
Dictionary of Louisiana Creole. He has received grants and fellowships
from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Council
of Learned Societies, the French Cultural Services and the Louisiana
Endowment for the Humanities.

Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.