New Zealand: Surge in numbers learning Chinese

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 23:29:30 UTC 2008

Forwarded  From: edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Manawatu Standard

Surge in numbers learning Chinese

Manawatu Chinese Community Trust spokesperson Ping Peng said interest in
business dealings with China has doubled since the deal was signed in April
and at least 60 Palmerston North business people are now learning the
language. "I run an exporting and importing business in the Manawatu and my
contacts all want to learn some basic Chinese." With approximately 2000
Chinese living in the region our two countries are becoming more connected,
she said. "If you know some basics then you can form good business
relationships - it is very beneficial. "If people have lessons once a week
and practise they could hold a basic conversation within six months."

Full story:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/eveningstandard/4685165a6502.html

<http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book.asp?ref=9781405154109>

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a