Australia: Labor multicultural policy 'missing key points'

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 12:53:15 UTC 2008

Labor multicultural policy 'missing key points'
Posted Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:00am AEST

Map: Canberra 2600
 The ACT Opposition says Labor's multicultural policy is missing some
key points. Labor says it will spend an extra $800,000 to improve
multicultural services in Canberra if it is re-elected. The policy
includes an extra $200,000 over four years for migrant and refugee
settlement services while $100,000 will go to community language
schools. Another $400,000 over four years will also be spent on
transitional housing for refugees.

But Opposition spokesman Steve Pratt says he wants to see a greater
emphasis on governance.  "Whilst we're broadly in agreement with the
dollars being promised today for some of these areas - subject to our
final budgetary check of those - we are disappointed we don't see much
more in the way of improving governance," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/15/2364259.htm