Maybe it's time to tighten up that comment policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 17:23:39 UTC 2008

Maybe it's time to tighten up that comment policy

DH education reporter Jennifer Moody has a story on the website
dealing with dual-language education programs and the possible effects
of Measure 58, which would limit the amount of non-English instruction
for K-12 students to two years:
Jones will teach her second-graders in Spanish for half the school
day. In the afternoon, they'll move next door, speaking and hearing
only English, while Jones works in Spanish with the group who spent
the morning on the English side.

Dual-language immersion programs have been a popular option at
Corvallis schools for about nine years. But their future is uncertain
under an initiative on the November ballot, Measure 58, which would
limit the time children can spend in classes taught in languages other
than English. I would encourage you to read the story; it's got some
good information. The comments, however, are not as encouraging. There
were three when I checked (just scroll down to the bottom of the
story):