Words don't lie: semantic mapping of presidential candidates shows what's really on their minds

Chris Allen Thomas chthomas at dolphin.upenn.edu
Sun Sep 28 17:16:14 UTC 2008

The words we use clearly indicate what some of the topics are on our minds, but this email doesn't do that. This email gives the topic and asks us to believe that there is some sort of analysis of the candidates' belief systems. This email also subtly suggests that we believe some things about the quality of the candidates mentioned just by virtue of their most common words that night. Honestly, the fact that McCain said Obama's name most frequently and the fact that Obama said "going" most frequently, says what, precisely?

My favorite is the following:

McCain mentioned no big dollar amounts, confirming his belief that if you have to ask what something costs, then you can't afford it.

How does this lack to say something confirm his beliefs?

Now, I believe that semantic clouds and neural networks will help us a great deal in the future to deconstruct language and learn a great deal about how people formulate the language that frames ideas. But this bit of analysis--it is just propaganda cloaked in a bit of academic theory. We have enough propaganda in linguistics.
Chris Allen Thomas