New Zealand: Spam Journalism

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:33:00 UTC 2009

Spam Journalism: The spurious use of sensational headlines to add
spice to an otherwise pointless article. (MacDoctor definition)

Thanks to Inventory2 for this excellent TV example of spam (I hardly
ever watch the broadcast of trivial sound bites amusingly called the
“News” - so I hadn’t seen this)

Supermarket under fire for English only rule

A Wellington supermarket is under fire for ordering workers to only
speak English.

The Thorndon New World has told staff they may get a warning if they
break the rule and a notice to staff posted on the supervisor’s kiosk
spells out the English language policy.

Firstly, the only reason that the supermarket was “under fire” was
because TVNZ decide to lead One News with this meaningless and trivial
story. The workers had not complained. The customers had not
complained. Only TVNZ thought this was worth bothering with (although
I expect much frenzying from the left-wing of the blogosphere over the
next day or two).

Secondly, the policy was formulated for the frontline staff - to stop
them speaking other languages in front of customers and their
workmates “because it make customers and staff uncomfortable”. This is
indisputably true. To speak another language in front of people
automatically excludes them from the conversation. While this is
acceptable on the street or in a cafe; at work, and especially in
front of customers, it is rudeness personified.

So this is nothing to do with racism, discrimination or any other such
PC nonsense, this is simply New World insisting that their staff have
good manners. Good on them I say.

Of course, there was no exploration of this aspect of the policy. TVNZ
was too busy making a mountain out of a molehill and interviewing the
Human Rights commission.

Strange. I wasn’t aware we had a right to be an ass…

http://www.macdoctor.co.nz/?p=1874