Sri Lanka: Language policy my main concern - Muralitharan

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:33:49 UTC 2009

Language policy my main concern - Muralitharan
P. Krishnaswamy

President Mahinda Rajapaksa is our hero and through his untiring and
sustained efforts terrorism would be totally wiped from the face of
this country, paving the way for communal amity and well-being of all
the people, Vinayagamoorthy Muralitharan, A.K.A. Karuna Amman MP
yesterday said after assuming office as Minister of Constitutional
Affairs and National Integration (non-Cabinet).

He assumed office in the presence of D.E.W. Gunasekara, Minister of
Constitutional Affairs and National Integration, religious leaders,
senior ministry officials, his family members, party supporters from
the East and a large gathering of media personnel.

Speaking to the media he said that a great change was taking place in
the country under the administration of President Rajapaksa and he, as
Minister, would work indomitably towards achieving the lofty goals of
the Mahinda Chintanaya. The ministry that has been offered to him is
very significant to the Tamil community because several constitutional
matters, including the implementation of the Tamil language policy,
were not properly implemented by successive governments before this.
He was of the view that the Tamils should learn Sinhala and the
Sinhalese learn Tamil for communal amity and national integrity to
build up, he said.

-- http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2009/04/05/new12.asp