Malaysia: Language Tussle

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 16:28:16 UTC 2009

Language tussle
6 Apr 09 : 8.00AM
By Hafidz Baharom
editor at thenutgraph.com

I WAS brought up in a rather apolitical background, though back in
school, I had teachers preaching the whole concept of "Takkan hilang
Melayu di dunia", complete with the image of that bronze cast
sculpture of Hang Tuah right next to it. Those were simpler days. I
went through both primary and secondary schools in Bahasa Melayu, now
labelled Bahasa Malaysia. However, I remember that during canteen
breaks, everyone reverted either to English or Mandarin, depending on
which crowd you hung out with. Personally, I don't care what language
science and mathematics are taught in. It could be done in Hindi or
even Urdu, and I would still be nonplussed. I consider this a lingual
issue, and I'm no Bahasa Malaysia linguist.

It should not be an issue involving political parties who are merely
trying to win over the Malay Malaysian community's vote, especially
for the upcoming triple by-elections. This was obvious when it was
reported that there were opposition party banners seen during the
recent demonstration against the Teaching of Maths and Science in
English (ETeMS, or better known by its Malay acronym PPSMI), by the
Gabungan Mansuhkan PPSMI (GMP) movement. Even more interesting is that
PAS spiritual leader Datuk Nik Aziz Nik Mat agreed with the protest,
while both DAP and Parti Keadilan Rakyat kept mum about it. The
Kelantan Menteri Besar even stated that they are not exploiting this
issue for political gain.

But the politics doesn't end there.

In the recent Umno general assembly, Johor delegate Ayub Rahmat asked
the supreme council to abolish the policy of teaching mathematics and
science in English. He stated that only 4% of Malay Malaysians
increased their proficiency in the English language, quoting from a
study by a non-governmental organisation called Pembina. The contents
of the report can be viewed here.

However, this delegate's point of view received dissent from within
his own state, when the head of the Umno division in Pulai spoke up
and said the division welcomes the policy and wants it to proceed.

Ayub's wasn't the lone voice against the policy. Kedah delegate Kamal
Saidin made a statement saying he wanted Bahasa Malaysia to be brought
back instead of using the "Jewish language".

Yet, just a day earlier, the Puteri Umno wing clearly stated that they
will continue to support the teaching of maths and science in English.
So there is no consensus on the issue, even within Umno.

Academicians and politicians also have differing views on the subject.

Prof Dr Sidek Baba of the International Islamic University Malaysia
Education Department launches into a conspiracy theory, stating that
the use of English is a subtle approach by the West to conquer the
world. Or in his exact quote to Bernama: "The approach of the West
[was] in using their own language to take over a foreign country, this
was a long-term policy done subtly to take over a country."

Whereas former Science, Technology and Innovation Minister and Member
of Parliament for Rompin Datuk Seri Jamaluddin Jarjis believes English
is the way forward. In an interview with the New Straits Times, he
states: "Various studies have shown that to compete in the global
knowledge marketplace, competency in the global language is
mandatory."

The ministry responds

One has to wonder just what exactly is the Ministry of Education doing
about all this drama?

On 10 March, he was quoted by Bernama as saying: "I believe we can
come up with a formula, taking into consideration the situation we are
currently in.

"In making a decision on the issue, we will also take into account the
capability in implementing the policy at primary school level and in
rural schools."

On 12 March in The Star he said a decision on the policy would be
reached by the end of the month.

And the most recent report on 30 March by Bernama states that the
Ministry of Education will neither fully accept nor reject PPSMI.

What people want

But while politicians are divided on this issue, I cannot help but
wonder what the people's say on this issue are.

Firstly, let's look at some opinion sections. In The Star, USM's
Shahida Sulaiman basically praises the idea, but notes the hurried
implementation. In her own words: "The teaching and learning of
science and mathematics in English is a wise initiative but its
implementation in 2003 was a bit rush (sic) as most teachers involved
were not ready."

The opinions of Zulkipli Ismail from Kuching are also very relative:
"The main point here is that whoever has superior knowledge and
technology that other people want so much, can dictate what language
to use — take it or leave it." I think we have to take note that as a
nation of democrats, this decision should be left to the rakyat to
decide; not the so-called culture protectors and fear-mongers who
preach an end to their culture through the learning of a foreign
language. And with the recent STPM recording that 92% took their
papers in English, I think the rakyat have made up their minds.

http://thenutgraph.com/article-2977.html