India: You can now learn French, German in Tamil

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Sun Apr 12 15:34:59 UTC 2009

This is a noteworthy development, but the fact it is news says something
too.

It will be interesting to see if there will be more "south to north" and
"south to south" language learning pairs - i.e., I consider using Tamil to
learn French "south to north" (north in the sense of the European languages
that dominate globally) and for instance using Swahili or Yoruba to learn
Chinese (or vice-versa) "south to south."

In the case of Africa I've commented elsewhere (H-Africa) that especially
for speakers of African languages with (superficially) similar structure to
Chinese, it is rather unfair to teach them Chinese uniquely via a second
language that is structurally (and perhaps tonally) dissimilar to both
Chinese and their first language. As far as I know, all Chinese language
courses in Africa are given from a Europhone language (mainly English or
French) or Arabic.

Even where it might not be economical to translate the presentation of all
(second) language courses into all (first) languages, it would certainly be
possible to at least incorporate information from local languages into the
material in substantive and I think very productive ways.

Don