UK: MPs' questions on language laws

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 01:06:37 UTC 2009

MPs' questions on language laws
Bethan James
BBC Wales political reporter

Culture minister Alun Fred Jones gave his evidence to the committee in Welsh
A committee of MPs has been grilling ministers about the Welsh
Assembly Government's request to be able to legislate on the Welsh
language.

Assembly culture minister Alun Ffred Jones told the Welsh Affairs
select committee there was public support and cross-party agreement to
justify the request for the transfer of powers.

But MPs raised concerns about which firms would be affected.

The Wales Office said it had received responses about burdens on business.

The committee raised concerns about which companies would be affected
by the legislative competence order (LCO).

MPs asked, in particular, about why telecommunications had been
included as such companies had expressed concerns to the committee of
the cost burden.

  We must have as much clarity as possible... especially considering
the possible burden on businesses

Wayne David MP, Wales Office Minister
Mr Jones insisted that there is support for the assembly government's
desire to update the 1993 Welsh Language Act in order to create a
bilingual Wales.

He was questioned about the idea that organisations receiving more
than £200,000 of public money a year should be included in any future
language legislation.

MPs suggested that this was a figure "plucked from thin air"

One particular thorny issue was the status of both the Welsh and
English languages.

The order states that the languages are to be treated equally as
official languages.

But Clwyd West MP David Jones claimed that this may be a case of ultra
vires (or beyond powers) - as there is no legislation stating that
English is the "official" language of the UK.

Wales Office minister Wayne David was asked about the results of a
Wales Office consultation exercise.

Further clarification

Mr David admitted that they had not received as many response from the
public as they had hoped - only 70.

But he did say that many of those had been very concerned about the
idea of extra responsibilities on business to offer services in Welsh.

Mr David said that although they were in support of the LCO, there
were reservations.

The Wales Office wants further clarification, especially concerning
the £200,000 threshold.

Mr David suggested that much of the detail was worthy of further debate.

"We must have as much clarity as possible... especially considering
the possible burden on businesses," he said.

"We know what policy intentions are but we must have tightest possible
wording so that there is no room for doubt."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8021616.stm