[lg policy] RE: Behavioural changes key to fighting abuse inLiberia's schools - UN envoy

Theodorus du Plessis dplesslt.HUM at UFS.AC.ZA
Thu Aug 20 12:44:06 UTC 2009

RE language-in-education policy in RSA - The Nelson Mandela quote is
actually significant as it very aptly reflects the two primary South
African approaches to managing multilingualism - own / home / first
language for sociocultural identiy (sentimental orientation); English
(predominant /supra official language of RSA) for education,
multicultural interaction, business, etc. (instrumental approach).

Prof. L.T. du Plessis
Direkteur/Director
Eenheid vir Taalbestuur/Unit for Language Management
Universiteit van die Vrystaat/University of the Free State
Posbus/P.O. Box 339
BLOEMFONTEIN
9300 RSA
Tel:  +27 51-401 2405
Faks/Fax: +27 51-444 5804
E-pos/E-mail: dplesslt.hum at ufs.ac.za
Web: http://www.uovs.ac.za/etb

>>> On 2009/08/20 at 01:53 PM, <dzo at bisharat.net> wrote:
In such a case cases where public education aimed at behavioral change
is
involved, I'm curious to know whether any of the first languages of
the
target population are used, or if it's "English-only." The brief news
item*
does not mention languages.

Nelson Mandela is quoted as saying "If you talk to a man in a language
he
understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language,
that
goes to his heart." In effect, if you speak to someone in their first
language it goes both to the heart and the head - both of which I think
you
need to address to have a hope of achieving lasting change.

* Below & at
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=31808&Cr=Liberia&Cr1=

SCHOOLS
> - UN ENVOY
>
> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:02:19 -0400
> From: UNNews <UNNews at un.org>
> __________
>
> BEHAVIOURAL CHANGES KEY TO FIGHTING ABUSE IN LIBERIA'S SCHOOLS - UN
> ENVOY
>
> New York, Aug 19 2009  6:00PM
>
> The top United Nations envoy to Liberia has stressed the need for
> greater awareness and behavioural changes to combat sexual
exploitation
> and abuse in schools, and reiterated the world body's commitment to
> help the West African nation in its efforts.
>
> Ellen Margrethe Løj was speaking at a ceremony in the capital,
> Monrovia, during which the UN Mission in Liberia
> (<"http://www.unmil.org/index.asp">UNMIL) handed over thousands of
> books containing messages aimed at raising awareness to deter
> perpetrators and offer support to young female students.
>
> Young girls are often intimidated or lured into having sex with
> teachers in exchange for grades, according to a news release issued
by
> the Mission.
>
> Ms. Løj, the Secretary-General's Special Representative and head of
> UNMIL, emphasized the need for greater efforts to ensure that
teachers
> do not take advantage of young girls under the pretext of teaching
> them, and called for reaching out to Liberian men about the need to
> change their behaviour.
>
> "We deeply feel that it's important for Liberian girls and women; we
> owe it to them to do our utmost to ensure that they are not victims
of
> sexual exploitation and abuse and gender-based violence," she said.
>
> UN agencies in Liberia are part of a taskforce on sexual and gender-
> based violence that also includes non-governmental organizations
(NGOs)
> and the Government. The group uses various methods to empower young
> girls to say no to unwanted sexual and exploitative advances by
those
> in positions of authority.
>
> Its outreach efforts include radio jingles, drama, billboards and
> posters around the country that incorporate the slogan, "no sex for
> help, no help for sex."
To manage your subscription unsubscribe, or arrange digest format:

University of the Free State: This message and its contents are subject to a disclaimer.
Please refer to  http://www.ufs.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.

Universiteit van die Vrystaat:
Hierdie boodskap en sy inhoud is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule onderhewig.
Volledige besonderhede is by http://www.ufs.ac.za/vrywaring  beskikbaar.