[lg policy] Indigenous Language Institute : Native Language News

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 4 15:16:55 UTC 2009

 Forwarded From: Indigenous Language Institute <ili at ilinative.org>
Date: Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM
 Indigenous Language Institute : Native Language News

 If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=28751.6555715304/rid=e325978fb9fdf6951d64921034efe942>
.
  [image: Forward this message to a
friend]<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Forward/ID=28751.6555715304/rid=e325978fb9fdf6951d64921034efe942/send_to_friend>
<http://e2ma.net/go/6555715304/208056467/209757447/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org>
         *
*
    *
*
 *2009 NIEA CONVENTION IN MILWAUKEE*

A special greeting to those we met at the NIEA Convention and Language
Summit in Milwaukee in October! We want to share some highlights of
Indigenous Language Institute’s participation in this great gathering.

   [image: NIEAÂILI Partnership]
 *NIEA09 Hill, Whitefoot MOA:* ILI President Jerry Hill (Oneida) and NIEA
Incoming President Patricia Whitefoot (Yakama/Diné) sign partnership MOA
 *NIEA-ILI Partnership Agreement*

NIEA and ILI signed the Memorandum of Agreement to formalize our
partnership. Patricia Whitefoot, incoming President of NIEA and Jerry Hill,
President of ILI signed the Agreement at the Partnership Luncheon on October
23. We will work together to help realize the goals of our Nations to
revitalize our Native languages.
   [image: IBM â ILI Booth]
 *Visitors at IBM-ILI Booth:* *left to right:* Kerry Langford (IBM), Ernie
Stevens Jr (NIGA), Maria Hinton (ILI Honoree 2002), Gerald Danforth (Oneida
Wisconsin), Jerry Hill (ILI President) visiting IBM-ILI booth

  *IBM Collaboration*

IBM has been our partner since 2001 and between 2003-2008 has sponsored 7
Regional Technology Workshops that traveled to five different states
training over 300 individuals how to use computers to create print and
digital materials in the Native languages.

This year IBM hosted ILI at their NIEA trade show booth as it has done in
past years. We had so many visitors stop by the booth. Among them were Maria
Hinton (Oneida, ILI Honoree 2002) and her grandson Ernie Stevens, Jr
(Chairman of National Indian Gaming Association), Gerald Danforth (former
Tribal Chair of Oneida Wisconsin), both long time supporters of ILI’s
mission and work. To those who signed up for follow-up, we will be
contacting you! Thank you to Kerry Langford of IBM (also ILI’s Technical
Advisory Committee member) for manning the booth at all times!

   [image: ILI Consortium]
 *Consortium Group:* *left to right:* Richard Bugbee (AICLS), Rachael Nez
(ILI), Chris Harvey (ILI), Inée Slaughter (ILI), Kerry Langford (IBM), Jerry
Hill (ILI), Candace Galla (AILDI)
 *ILI Presentation*

    Featured at ILI’s segment of the language summit were our Consortium
partners: American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI, Tucson, AZ)
and Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival (AICLS). The other
partners who were not present at NIEA are: The Piegan Institute and Oklahoma
Native Language Association (ONLA). ILI’s Board President, Jerry Hill,
facilitated the session. Kerry Langford of IBM presented on their role in
supporting ILI’s language work. ILI’s Rachael Nez and Chris Harvey shared
information about our Ancient Voices, Modern Tools technology workshops. We
are grateful to Ryan Wilson (NIEA Board member) and Jennifer Weston
(Cultural Survival) for their efforts to establish the Language Summit as
part of NIEA’s annual offering.

  ------------------------------
  *Donate to ILI*
  The Indigenous Language Institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization
governed by a majority Native American Board of Directors. Our work is
funded by federal and private grants and by contributions from all of you.
Your contributions to ILI directly helps Native language become vibrant once
again *Everywhere, Everyday for Everyone*.

You can donate online<http://e2ma.net/go/6555715304/208056467/209757457/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/donate/>

or

You can mail your contributions to:
ILI, 1501 Cerrillos Road, U-Bldg, Santa Fe, New Mexico USA 87505

   1501 Cerrillos Road U-Building | Santa Fe, NM 87505 US

This email was sent to *hfsclpp at gmail.com*. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=48362/id=28751.6555715304/rid=e325978fb9fdf6951d64921034efe942>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=28751.6555715304/rid=e325978fb9fdf6951d64921034efe942/signupId=48362>using
*TrueRemove™*

Got this as a forward? Sign
up<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Join/signupId=48362/mailingId=208056467/acctId=28751>to
receive our future emails.

[image: Network for Good]
*EmailNow* powered by
Emma<http://e2ma.net/go/6555715304/208056467/209757458/28751/goto:http://www1.networkforgood.org/for-nonprofits/fundraising/emailnow>

disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal. (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)