[lg policy] UK: Tories Reveal Official Immigration Policy

jmillar at YORKU.CA jmillar at YORKU.CA
Mon Dec 14 21:35:46 UTC 2009

     As someone who has only recently joined this mailing list, I respectfully
offer the following comments to the moderator and to the other members
regarding the posting “Tories Reveal Official Immigration Policy.” A previous
posting has already pointed out the source of the message, namely the far-right
British National Party. I, however, would like to express my dismay that this
message was ever sent over the list. I do not appreciate receiving unsolicited
propaganda from a neo-fascist organization in my inbox, even if it is merely
for informational purposes from a professional mailing list.
     I realize that the disclaimer at the bottom of every message makes it clear
that the list is meant solely as “a service to its members and implies neither
approval, confirmation nor agreement by the owner or sponsor of the list as to
the veracity of a message’s contents,” and that members “are encouraged to post
a rebuttal” to messages with which they disagree. However, I fail to see what
‘service’ is being provided by posting a message from the BNP. Couldn’t the
purely informational value of the message have been conveyed by posting an
article from IPPR, or a press release from Mayor Johnson, or even the
Conservative Party? Furthermore, I don’t feel that members should have to
‘rebut’ the racist and xenophobic ideas of a group such as the BNP on what is
purportedly an academic mailing list. I am only taking the time to do so now
because I think it would be worse to let the posting pass unnoticed, as if it
were a message like any other.
    I have found many postings on this list useful, in particular the book and
journal notices, and the conference calls for papers. However, the tendency to
post from non-academic (and non-mainstream media) sources does not provide the
kind of information for members that an academic mailing list should, and it
can also be highly problematic, as in the present case.

Jeff Millar
PhD (3) Student, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics,
York University, Toronto, Canada.
E-mail: jmillar at yorku.ca

http://bnp.org.uk/2009/12/tories-reveal-official-immigration-policy-%E2%80%9Ctens-of-thousands-of-immigrants-a-year%E2%80%9D/