[lg policy] Denmark: Language Policy at the Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 18 14:35:46 UTC 2009

Language Policy at the Faculty of Life Sciences

Why do we have a language policy?

The Faculty developed its language policy nine years ago and adopted a
ten-year implementation plan, i.e. the policy shall be fully
implemented by the year 2010. The Policy was formulated in 2000 when
we were an independent university (The Royal Veterinary and
Agricultural University, in Danish abbreviated KVL). As of 1 January
2007, KVL merged with University of Copenhagen, and became the Faculty
of Life Sciences within the new University of Copenhagen.

The main reasons for formulating a language policy in 2000 were:

1: to ensure that our university actively contributes to the
international competitive strength of our nation

2: to ensure the employability of our graduates, not only in the
Danish but also in the increasingly global job market

3: to create an international research and teaching environment at our
own university

4: to ensure that our scientific reputation and attraction are of a
standard that allows us to collaborate with the highest ranking
foreign universities

5: to enhance the quality of our research and education by submitting
ourselves to international competition

6: to enable our university to attract the best and brightest students
and employees globally, and finally

7: to ensure that as graduates from our University, our students are
provided with a high quality research-based education AND, at the same
time, a fluent command of the English language.

 What is our Language Policy?

Above are given the reasons for formulating an active Language Policy
back in the year 2000. However, what is our Policy? The contents of
our Language Policy may be grouped into four levels.

 1: Faculty level

As a Faculty at a Danish University, we have a basic commitment and
obligation towards Danish cultural and societal values, including
securing and developing the Danish language. Our main teaching
language is, consequently, Danish. However, in accordance with the
above, it is a cornerstone of our Language Policy that our graduates
master the Danish as well as the English terminology relevant to their
scientific field, and are competent in Danish as well as in English in
general.

2: Programme level

The general policy is to teach in English at MSc level, and in Danish
at BSc level. There are, however, a number of exceptions.

MSc level

First of all, there must be a distinct labour-market demand for
graduates with a command of English in order for an MSc programme to
be taught in English. For example, the MSc programme in Landscape
Management, which focuses mainly on Danish regulatory instruments, is
a fully Danish taught MSc. For MSc programmes where the teaching
language is English, the policy is that the compulsory/core courses
are all in English but there may be several elective courses which are
in Danish. The guiding principle is that a non-Danish speaking student
must be able to follow a 100% English taught MSc programme whereas
Danish speaking students may elect several non-English taught courses.
For courses where the teaching language is English, all textbooks,
handouts, curriculum descriptions, etc are in English, project work is
in English and the final exam (oral or written) is in English.

BSc level

At BSc level, the main teaching language is Danish. However, several
of the textbooks used will be in English, and in the course of the
three-year BSc programme, a progression of courses will be taught in
English in order to prepare the student for instruction in English at
MSc level.

3: Course level

As stated above, according to the policy, compulsory courses are
taught in English at MSc level but on the condition that this must be
relevant to the job market. As a consequence of this, for example, the
parts of the MSc curriculum in Veterinary Science which focus on
client contact, i.e. many of the clinical courses, are taught in
Danish. In other MSc programmes, individual courses focusing on, for
example, legal matters specific to Danish conditions are also taught
in Danish.

4: MSc thesis

The students may elect to write their thesis in either English or
Danish (most students however, choose to submit their thesis in
English). The language of examination follows the language chosen for
the thesis. All submitted theses must be accompanied by a Danish
summary, suitable for national publication.

Language and Quality Assurance Programme

The Faculty’s quality assurance programme attaches great importance to
monitoring potential adverse consequences of our Language Policy on a
continuous basis. The components in our quality assurance system that
focus specifically on language are the following:

1: All individual courses are evaluated via an internet-based standard
questionnaire which the individual student answers. Five of the
questions in the questionnaire relate to language

2: The Faculty offers language courses to all students, in Danish as
well as in English, partly financed by the students themselves

3: Students have daily access to our Language Lab at the Student
Services Office, where they may obtain general language tutoring,
assistance with translation and terminology, etc.

4: The Faculty has a specific plan for the enhancement of language
skills for teachers within each Department

5: The Faculty is considering language certification of the individual
teacher as a requirement for teachers who teach in English. This,
however, depends on the introduction of an independent and reliable
language certification scheme at university level or at national
level.

Students and Language Policy

Our language Policy has been formulated, implemented, monitored and
adapted in close cooperation with our students. The process is
discussed continuously with the local Student Council, which ensures
input to and support of the Language Policy and its implementation at
the Faculty.

http://www.life.ku.dk/English/about/Language%20policy.aspx
Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)