[lg policy] Canada: Quebec traditionalists resist French spelling reforms

eaton at UCALGARY.CA eaton at UCALGARY.CA
Sat Dec 19 18:04:28 UTC 2009

Hello all. My name is Curtis Eaton. I am an economist/social scientist at
University of Calgary.

Currently J. F. Wen (a collaegue in Economics at Calgary) and I are trying to do
some thooretical work on what we call the disappearing languages problem. We are
focusing on the role that trade and commerce play in driving the phenomenon.

At this point we are not at all well informed on a number of relevant literatures
--the history of diapepared languages, what is happening right now around the
world, what theories have been advanced to explain the phenomenon. So your
suggestions regarding stuff that we ought to be reading are definitely welcome. We
need your help.

When we have a paper that is suitable for circulation, we will of course circulate
it to this list for comment.

Many Thanks,
Curtis Eaton
University Professor and Professor of Economics
The University of Calgary