[lg policy] Education Resources Information Center: EJ859092 - A Critical Language Policy of Place: Framing an Ecological Perspective in Language Education

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 28 17:27:41 UTC 2009

EJ859092 - A Critical Language Policy of Place: Framing an Ecological
Perspective in Language Education

Full-Text Availability Options:

 ERIC Full Text (126K) |

The date the document or article was published. 2008-00-00

Abstract:

A brief narrative description of the journal article, document, or
resource. This paper stresses the importance of enacting positive
transformation in language policy and planning in the United States as
delineated by the idea of radical localism and supported by a critical
pedagogy of place. Initially, I ask the following questions: Does NCLB
impact opportunities for English language learners to take part in
their communities and transform their surroundings as well as their
overall education? Given the U.S. history in language policy issues,
how should language policy be framed in order to inform ELL
instruction? I draw on sociocultural theory and critical pedagogy to
frame my arguments as well as language policies from UNESCO and the
African National Congress.

 http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ859092&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ859092

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)