English Language Unity Act Introduced in the 111th Congress

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 18:22:30 UTC 2009

English Language Unity Act Introduced in the 111th Congress
Similar legislation in 109th, 110th Congresses had more than 150 co-sponsors

Last update: 3:49 p.m. EST Feb. 11, 2009

WASHINGTON, Feb 11, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- A geographically diverse
group of lawmakers introduced legislation today to make English the
official language of the United States. Sponsored by Rep. Steve King
and 58 other members of the U.S. House of Representatives, H.R. 997
would reduce government multilingualism and return the focus of
government agencies to promoting English acquisition. With numerous
polls revealing that more than four-fifths of Americans support the
bill, making English the official language is expected to be a hotly
debated topic in any Congressional consideration of immigration and
assimilation issues.

"After years of discussion, I hope the 111th Congress will be the one
to promote our common language and cease separating people along
language lines," said Mauro E. Mujica, Chairman of the Board of U.S.
English, Inc. "At a time when we are looking for ideas that favor
economic empowerment and reduce reliance on government, an official
English policy is sensible legislation that is supported by an
overwhelming majority of the American people." The English Language
Unity Act of 2009 would require the United States government to
conduct most official business in English. Specifically, H.R. 997
would limit routine government operations to English, while giving
government agencies common sense flexibility to protect public health
and safety, national security, and to provide for the needs of
commerce and criminal justice systems.

Efforts to make English the official language of the United States
date back to 1981, when Senator S.I. Hayakawa introduced legislation
to emphasize English acquisition and reduce government
multilingualism. Since that time, more than 650 members of Congress
have co-sponsored or voted for pending measures, including five which
passed the Senate and one which passed the House of Representatives.
In the 110th Congress, there were more than 150 bi-partisan
co-sponsors of The English Language Unity Act, marking the eighth time
in the last nine Congresses where an official English bill has
garnered co-sponsorships from more than 100 Representatives. "Making
English the official language is not a partisan issue, it is an
American issue," continued Mujica. "I look forward to working with
lawmakers on both sides of the aisle to reduce limited English
proficiency in the United States and promote English acquisition
through sensible government policies."

U.S. English, Inc. is the nation's oldest and largest non-partisan
citizens' action group dedicated to preserving the unifying role of
the English language in the United States. Founded in 1983 by the late
Sen. S.I. Hayakawa of California, U.S. English can be found on the web
at: www.usenglish.org.
SOURCE: U.S. English, Inc.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/english-language-unity-act-introduced/story.aspx?guid=%7B8DA87087-A39D-4ED1-BC9A-2CF4E93F4787%7D&dist=msr_1