Language policy briefs for govt offiicials

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Sat Feb 28 13:11:59 UTC 2009

Thank you for this information. A few quick follow up questions (quick to
ask at least), because it is precisely the issue of policy in African
countries that I'm working on:

* Why are you asked to address the issue of language policy? I.e., is this
something you see as particular to South Africa (given its history and
having 11 official languages)?

* Do you have any of your presentations online or otherwise publicly
available?

* Why do you think the decisionmakers do not implement language policy?

* Is there something that could be done differently in terms of content or
presentation of information to policy makers and people responsible for
policy implementation that might lead to more positive results?

The latter two questions are particularly important given what Ayo Bamgbose
describes as "declaration without implementation" in his summary of problems
with language policy in Africa. On a continental level, of course, there
have been numerous declarations and plans of action, but little to show for
them. In specific countries the story is often similar, but more
complicated. In either case, how to deal with it?

In discussions with Dwayne Bailey (project lead of African Network for
Localisation - ANLoc - and head of Translate.org.za) on promotion of
policies supporting localization (related closely to language policy), the
idea has been brought up of use of graphics and stories to make more
tangible the otherwise abstract concepts and numbers. In effect, what I
interpret as incorporating tools of marketing in the awareness-raising and
educational effort.

Ultimately such approaches would find themselves incorporated in printed and
online policy briefs/memos, which is why I'm interested in what you and
others have done.

Thanks in advance for any further information.

Don