Turkish in western European diaspora

Rakesh M. Bhatt rbhatt at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 16 06:18:27 UTC 2009

Dear All:

I have a quick help-question:

Turkish folks in several European countries seem to be remrakably resilent in terms of their loyalty to their ethnic language, much more than other immigrant communities settled in Europe.  I am trying to study what (precise) social-ethnographic factors may contribute to the efforts of language maintenance in these communities.  I am familiar with some of Pfaff's work, and of Ad Backus, but would appreciate it if someone could point to monographs/papers written specifically on langauge maintenance/shift among Turkish communities in western European diaspora (Germany/The Netherlands/Sweden/France...???).

Any help will be appreciated!

Wamly,
Rakesh
Associate Professor of Linguistics and SLATE
Department of Linguistics
University of Illinois
4080 FLB, 707 S. Mathews Ave
Urbana, IL 61801