[lg policy] Israel's Transportation Ministry to 'Hebraize' road signs

Al Haraka alharaka at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 15 14:43:31 UTC 2009

Priceless.  I noticed this years ago when in the West Bank.  When meeting
with a former Israeli official of high standing on this same civil society
trip, I asked him about this practice.  He was offended by my insinuation
that it was on purpose, and insisted it has always been that way.  Keep in
mind I was asking him why they wrote the Hebrew name for Jerusalem (let's
transliterate as Yerusalem) instead of its proper Arabic name
(transliterated Al-Quds) in the Arabic script.  Another enjoyable tale of
the rather small minds of people.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Francis Hult <francis.hult at utsa.edu>wrote:

>   Ma’an News Agency
>

> Israel's Transportation Ministry to 'Hebraize' road signs
>

> Israel's transportation minister announced a plan on Monday to change
> English and Arabic street signs to reflect just their Hebrew names.
>
> "This government, and certainly this minister, will not allow anyone to
> turn Jewish Jerusalem to Palestinian Al-Quds," said Transportation Minister
> Yisrael Katz, the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper reported.
>

> Full story:
>
> http://www.maannews.net/en/index.php?opr=ShowDetails&Do=&ID=39205
> <http://faculty.coehd.utsa.edu/fhult/>

Alexander J. Stein