[lg policy] Malaysia: Relook policy on Maths and Science

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 15 21:36:19 UTC 2009

Relook policy on Maths and Science

CONGRATULATIONS to the PM on his 100 days in office. He has done great.

However, I hope he can re-look the policy on the medium of instruction
on Maths and Science. This is one policy where I think the Government
cannot simply apply for the “sake of the majority”. We are indebted to
Tun Razak as his policy gave us exposure to the outside world and a
platform for us to compete. I was brought up in a kampung in the 1980s
when education was predominantly in Bahasa Malaysia. I was thus
brought up in a Bahasa environment. My first real exposure to English
was when I did my 1119 English Language exam and A-Levels. The
subjects were difficult but the language made it even more difficult.
With a lot of hard work, I am now a qualified accountant!

I would like to think that I am the result of Tun Razak’s vision in
building educated Malay professionals and I would like to see my
children go even further. However, I am disappointed with the
announcement, and pity my children. They are currently in the English
system and now have to start all over again! The point is, if this
policy is not suitable for the anak-anak kampung, then at least
recognise the fact that there is a big group of people who want their
children to continue with the English medium! Why not look back at
what we did in the 1960s and ‘70s when we had designated
English-medium schools. From there, the Government can judge how many
of us are eager to have our children enrolled in these type of
schools!

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/7/15/focus/4317751&sec=focus
Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)