[lg policy] Arabic for "mankind"

Al Haraka alharaka at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 5 19:37:19 UTC 2009

Ron,

The word used in modern Arabic (by which I mean usage in contemporary
media) for humanity is thusly derived from the word 'insan.  It is
'insaniyya (إنسانية).  There is also bashr (بشر).  I cannot tell you
the semantic differences with exact detail.  This is where a native
speaker chimes in. :-)

Regards,
_AJS

2009/6/5 Haroon Moghul <moghul at gmail.com>:
> The word is "nas," from which derives the word "insan" (person -- *not*
> specifically or solely man, since that word is "rajul") and also the word
> nisaa (pl., women.)
>
> In another verse in the Qur'an, it is written that God created a human being
> from one soul (soul being a feminine word) and from it its mate (mate being
> masculine, and/or generic arabic neuter).
>
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Ronald Kephart <rkephart at unf.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have a question. In President Obama's Cairo speech, there is this:
>>
>> > The Holy Koran tells us:  "O mankind!  We have created you male and a
>> > female;
>> > and we have made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one
>> > another."
>> >
>> > http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-at-Cairo-U
>> > niversity-6-04-09/
>>
>> What is the Arabic word/phrase that translates as łmankind?˛ And, is it a
>> true generic (e.g. Aymara jaqi) or is it a prescribed generic, like
>> English
>> man/mankind?
>>
>> Ron

> --
> Haroon Moghul
> Ph.D. Candidate, Columbia University
> Middle East and Asian Languages and Cultures
>
> Director of Public Relations,
> The Islamic Center at New York University | www.icnyu.org
> Phone : 212.998.4712
>
> Weblog : Avari : http://avari.typepad.com/avari