[lg policy] Malaysia: English in Schools

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 30 19:24:34 UTC 2009

 Forwarded  From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Malaysia Today

English in Schools

Scrap the policy of teaching Science and Mathematics in English and
bring back Bahasa Melayu as the medium of instruction in the education
system, said Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

He also called for the return of Bahasa Melayu's status as the supreme
language, which includes using it as the medium to teach Science and
Maths in national schools and also strengthening its usage in Chinese
and Tamil schools.

"This issue has become a controversy for far too long. We consider
this policy a betrayal of Bahasa Melayu as our official language," he
told a press conference yesterday.

Anwar, however, conceded that it was important to master English and
agreed that there should be constructive steps taken to improve the
usage and understanding of the language.

"But how we do it should be decided by educationists and with
consideration towards the national education policy. This includes not
forcing our children to pass English as a compulsory subject in the
Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) as this will result in many students,
especially in rural areas, to fail," added Anwar.

Full story:

http://mt.m2day.org/2008/content/view/23723/84/

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)