Malaysia: Why question English policy now?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:56:41 UTC 2009

Lam Thye: Why question English policy now?

PETALING JAYA: Social activist Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye has defended the
use of English in the teaching of Mathematics and Science.

“Why question it now? I am surprised that there are groups who are
questioning the policy after it has been in place for six years.

“There is nothing wrong with the policy, although there might be
weaknesses in its implementation,” he said when contacted yesterday.

More than 2,000 people marched to Istana Negara last Saturday to hand
over a memorandum to the King asking for the return of Bahasa Malaysia
as the medium of instruction for Mathematics and Science.

Lee said the argument that teachers were not fluent in English was not
justified as it was the execution of the policy that needed to be
improved.

“What needs to be done is to address these weaknesses, not the policy,” he said.

He also said global competitiveness was anchored in the proficiency of
English, and that the policy should not be regarded as a threat to
Bahasa Malaysia as the national language.

“The teaching of Mathematics and Science in English is not a show of
disrespect to the national language.

“For the future of our country, we should take steps to improve the
standard of English. It’s a good thing for Malaysians to be bilingual.

“Our education system should also not be politicised. It’s not good
for the progress and the future of our nation,” he said.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/3/10/nation/3440633&sec=nation