a mistake in asking about gender assignment : academic answers needed URGENT PLZ !!!

Jason F. Siegel siegeljf at indiana.edu
Sun May 17 19:41:17 UTC 2009

Hi Mostari,

I don't think there's any evidence to support a claim that "astuce" sounds
more masculine. There is a study by Tucker et al. (1970) (reference below)
that said /s/ is more likely to indicate feminine gender to speakers.
Moreover, the /la/ sequence in the beginning is also more likely to prime
the feminine gender given its homophony with the feminine article /la/.

I think a more intuitive explanation is that the masculine gender is the
default gender of nonce borrowing in Arabic. This would have to be
corroborated by some sort of outside evidence, of course. It seems from
Najat Benchiba's article "Phonologic and Semantic Considerations of
Grammatical Gender in Moroccan Arabic and English Code-Switching. A
Levelling Phenomenon" that this is basically correct for Moroccan
Arabic-English code-switching, but that phonological and semantic factors
may make a difference. The default gender is what surfaces when the gender
of the item can't be retrieved for whatever reason. Here it seems that the
speaker just might not know the gender at all (since he or she also does not
recognize that /l/ is not part of the lexeme), so s/he just guesses
masculine by default.

--Jason

Jason F. Siegel

Ph.D. Student, Linguistics & French Linguistics

Department of French & Italian

Ballantine Hall 642

1020 East Kirkwood Avenue

Indiana University