gender assignement :new answers PLZ

Carol Myers-Scotton myerssc3 at msu.edu
Tue May 19 12:49:41 UTC 2009

Mostari--What you say is generally what is found in cs data sets.  That is, in general the dominant gender of the ML prevails, but then the system breaks down---phonological features are sometimes the basis for gender assignment, it seems, but not in all cases.  So there is no simple and complete answer.
I can't think of a more formal way to state the facts.
Carolm-s