[lg policy] Malta: The 7th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 12 15:20:05 UTC 2009

The 7th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation

Nicoletta Calzolari (@dblp) has invited me again to serve on the
scientific committee for the 7th International Conference on Language
Resources and Evaluation in 2010.

LREC 2010 will be held in Mediterranean Conference Centre, Valletta,
Malta, on May 17-23, 2010. The committee will consist of experts like
yourself, spanning all interests within the LREC 2010 community.
Members will review papers, and help in other conference activities,
such as by encouraging submissions, circulating information, etc.  I
was not too sure to accept the invitation this year, because it takes
time and normally one is short of it. However, it is a praise and it
is normally not good to say no to such a thing. Once I said no to a
similar invitation from SEPLN, and, after more than ten years serving
at the scientific committee, was never asked again.

But peer-evaluation also gives the opportunity to keep up to date with
research in the field, or at least it helps trying to. I had to check
the topics in which I feel more confident… It has not been easy!
Machine translation used to be one of my strong matters, however,
since 1990 it is mainly carried out through probabilities and machine
learning techniques, which I’m very weak at. As a compensation, there
are new symbolic realms in which an old rocker from the eighties,
trained in unification based grammars and semantic networks, feels
much more confortable, such as metadata, ontologies, digital
libraries, controlled languages.

Every course I ask my students to visit conference sites as LREC to
monitor the evolution of the topics in the call for papers. And this
of 2010 is a very comprehensive list that includes many aspects
connected with our Modern Languages syllabus. Students, please, take a
look:

Topics:

 Acquisition
 Anaphora, Coreference
 Authoring tools, proofing
 Cognitive methods
 Controlled languages
 Corpus (creation, annotation, etc.)
 Dialogue
 Digital libraries
 Discourse annotation, representation and processing
 Document Classification, Text categorisation
 Emotion Recognition/Generation
 Endangered languages
 Evaluation methodologies
 Grammar and Syntax
 Handwriting recognition
 Information Extraction, Information Retrieval
 Knowledge Discovery/Representation
 Language Identification
 Language modelling
 Lexicon, lexical database
 LR Infrastructures and Architectures
 LR national/international projects, organizational/policy issues
 Machine Translation, SpeechToSpeech Translation
 Metadata
 Morphology
 Multilinguality
 Multimedia Document Processing
 MultiWord Expressions & Collocations
 Named Entity recognition
  Natural Language Generation
 Ontologies
 Parsing
 Part of speech tagging
 Person Identification
 Phonetic Databases, Phonology
 Profiling
 Prosody
 Question Answering
 Semantic Web
 Semantics
 Sign Language Recognition/Generation
 Speech Recognition/Understanding
 Speech resource/database
 Speech Synthesis
 Standards for LRs
 Statistical and machine learning methods
 Summarisation
 Text mining
 Textual Entailment and Paraphrasing
 Tools, systems, applications
 Topic detection & tracking
 Typological databases
 Usability, user satisfaction
 Validation of LRs
 Voice Command and Control
 Web Services
 Word Sense Disambiguation
 Other

http://blogs.deusto.es/abaitua/the-7th-international-conference-on-language-resources-and-evaluation/
Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)