[lg policy] UK: ​PLANS to have all street signs in Cornwall printed in both Cornish and English have split councillors.

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 13 16:01:24 UTC 2009

Council divided over dual language signs
Thursday, November 12, 2009,

​PLANS to have all street signs in Cornwall printed in both Cornish
and English have split councillors.Cornwall Council’s cabinet agreed
to adopt a new Cornish Language policy at its meeting yesterday but
some councillors branded the plans as “ridiculous and unnecessary”. As
well as using Cornish language on street signs the policy also states
that the council should try and use Cornish in publications and on its
website to help promote the language. Councillors were told that the
changes would not cost the council any extra as manufacturers would
add the translations at no extra charge and will only apply for new
signs or for signs that need replacing. Mebyon Kernow leader and
councillor Dick Cole said the move could boost Cornwall’s economy.

 He said: “Cornwall’s uniqueness is its Celtic heritage and we have to
promote that as a brand to attract more overseas visitors. These sorts
of things are vitally important when trying to make an area stand out
from the rest.” Cllr Cole said that with the county bidding to be a
region of culture it was “very positive” to be promoting parts of the
Cornish culture such as its language. However Cllr Morwenna Williams
(Cons) said: “This will not be welcomed in my part of the county. Some
people in Cornwall will find this ridiculous and unnecessary.” Cllr
Fiona Ferguson (Cons) suggested that the council should ask the public
first before making a decision. “I think we should be asking the local
community – listening to the comments here some people are strongly in
favour while some are very much against it.”

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/homepagenews/Council-divided-dual-language-signs/article-1509068-detail/article.html

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)