[lg policy] US: Language Boom

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 17 16:30:04 UTC 2009

 Forwarded From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

News at Northeastern

Language boom

On a train headed for the U.S. State Department's headquarters in
Washington, D.C., third-year Northeastern student Drew McConnell
overheard a group of Egyptian journalists bantering back and forth in
Arabic. McConnell, an international affairs and political science dual
major, jumped right into the conversation, having spent three
semesters learning Arabic at Northeastern and another two months on a
language-based Dialogues of Civilization program to Egypt.

"We talked about Arab-American and Egyptian-American relations,"
McConnell said, adding that his conversation with the visiting
journalists became a focus of the scribes' article on their trip to
the United States. "We talked at a level that was higher than I was
used to, but I am confident enough to approach people and know they
will understand me and will want to engage me in conversation as much
as I want to engage them."

For McConnell and thousands of other students at Northeastern,
learning how to speak a foreign language has become as important as
studying the introductory courses in their majors. This fall, 1,450
students are taking at least one of 13 language courses, including
Swahili, Northeastern's latest addition to its language menu. Since
the creation of the World Languages Center in 2007, the University has
set new enrollment records in languages each semester.

Full story:

http://www.northeastern.edu/news/stories/2009/11/foreignlanguageboom.html

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)