[lg policy] Klingon Language Acquisition

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 19 00:55:54 UTC 2009

Forwarded From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

MNDaily.com

Local company creates Klingon dictionary

Ultralingua creates translation software in various languages for Mac and PC.

With the birth of his son 15 years ago, dedicated linguist d'Armond
Speers embarked on the ultimate experiment: He spoke to him only in
Klingon - the language of the alien race of "Star Trek" fame - for the
first three years of his life.

"I was interested in the question of whether my son, going through his
first language acquisition process, would acquire it like any human
language," Speers said. "He was definitely starting to learn it."

So when Ultralingua, a dictionary, translation and grammar software
company in Dinkytown, honored requests from customers to create
applications for a Klingon dictionary, they turned to Speers, a
self-employed software consultant.

Full Story:

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/11/17/local-company-creates-klingon-dictionary

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)