[lg policy] Canada: Harper in Pittsburgh: 'Canada has no history of colonialism'

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 4 13:14:52 UTC 2009

Harper in Pittsburgh: 'Canada has no history of colonialism'
By Stephanie Dearing.

During the Pittsburgh G20 meeting, Canada's Prime Minster Stephen
Harper riled Canada's First Nations with a statement to international
press that Canada has no history of colonialism. When Prime Minister
Stephen Harper was addressing the media at a international press
conference at the G20 summit held in Pittsburgh in September, he said
"Every nation wants to be Canada ... We also have no history of
colonialism." While Harper's aides claim his comments on colonialism
were taken out of context, First Nation leaders are demanding an
apology. Shawn Atleo, the new head of the Assembly of First Nations
(AFN) is asking for a meeting with Harper, although so far, his
requests have been denied. Atleo said

"The future cannot be built without regard to the past.
Internationally, Canada has been scrutinized and harshly criticized
for its treatment of indigenous peoples and failure to respect
aboriginal and treaty rights." AFN's Ontario Regional Chief, Angus
Toulouse said in a press release,  "I am calling on the Prime Minister
to immediately retract this inaccurate statement as clearly Canada
does have a history of colonialism and for many years forcefully
imposed assimilationist policies on the First Nations people in this
country. The devastating effects of these harmful policies are still
being felt within First Nation communities across this country."
Toulouse added that Harper acknowledged Canada's colonial history in
his historic apology to First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples in
2008, for the harm caused by the residential school system.

Canada's First Nations are upset that Canada has refused to endorse
the United Nation's Declaration on the Rights of the Indigenous
Peoples. The Declaration was adopted in 2007, although the United
States, New Zealand and Canada are the only countries that have
refused to sign the declaration. At the time, Canadian
representatives, such as John McNee, Canada's UN ambassador, said
there were

"... significant concerns on wording on provisions addressing lands
and resources, as well as another article calling on states to obtain
prior informed consent with indigenous groups before enacting new laws
or administrative measures ... the provision is overly broad, unclear
and capable of a wide variety of interpretations."
Apparently speaking off the cuff at the Pittsburgh press conference on
September 25th, Harper was reported to have been uncharacteristically
passionate as he extolled Canada's economic strengths during the
recession. He said

"We're so self-effacing as Canadians that we sometimes forget the
assets we do have that other people see. We are one of the most stable
regimes in history. ... We are unique in that regard ... We also have
no history of colonialism. So we have all of the things that many
people admire about the great powers but none of the things that
threaten or bother them. Canada is big enough to make a difference but
not big enough to threaten anybody. And that is a huge asset if it's
properly used."
In a press release, Atleo said

"First Nation leaders and a chorus of Canadians find the Prime
Minister's comments that there is "no history of colonialism" in
Canada shocking, confounding and wrong."
The release was headed up with a definition of colonialism: the
control or governing influence of a nation over a dependent country,
territory, or people; the system or policy by which a nation maintains
or advocates such control or influence. Harper's apology last year to
Canada's First Nations for Canada's assimilation policies was the
first of its kind in the nation. Surrounded by aboriginal people, some
weeping, Harper apologized in Ottawa.

"Mr. Speaker, I stand before you today to offer an apology to former
students of Indian residential schools. The treatment of children in
Indian residential schools is a sad chapter in our history. Today, we
recognize that this policy of assimilation was wrong, has caused great
harm, and has no place in our country. The government now recognizes
that the consequences of the Indian residential schools policy were
profoundly negative and that this policy has had a lasting and
damaging impact on aboriginal culture, heritage and language. While
some former students have spoken positively about their experiences at
residential schools, these stories are far overshadowed by tragic
accounts of the emotional, physical and sexual abuse and neglect of
helpless children, and their separation from powerless families and
communities."

This latest error follows on the heels of a major blunder that saw
hundreds of body bags shipped to northern First Nations communities
earlier in September. Canadians are still awaiting an explanation for
the error. There is no word as to whether Harper's gaffe might affect
Canada's attempt to secure a seat on the United Nation's Security
Council .

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/280003
Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)