[lg policy] Fwd: Interdisciplinary Conference Call For Papers

Kendall King kendall at UMN.EDU
Tue Oct 6 15:48:02 UTC 2009

> * * * * *
>
> CALL FOR PAPERS
>
> The Ethics and Politics of Research with Immigrant Populations
> President’s Interdisciplinary Conference
> June 4-5, 2010
> University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
>
> Deadline for Submissions: December 21, 2009
>
> CONFERENCE CHAIRS
>
> Bic Ngo, Assistant Professor, Department of Curriculum and
> Instruction, University of Minnesota
> Martha Bigelow, Associate Professor, Department of Curriculum and
> Instruction, University of Minnesota
> Stacey Lee, Professor, Department of Educational Policy Studies,
> University of Wisconsin, Madison
>
> OVERVIEW
>
> The University of Minnesota's President's Interdisciplinary
> Conference Initiative supports inquiry that fosters collaboration
> between scholars in divergent fields and across institutions. This
> interdisciplinary conference addresses the question: What are the
> epistemological and ethical considerations in research with
> immigrant populations? The purpose of this conference is to engage
> university and community colleagues and students from a variety of
> disciplines and interests in consideration of this and other
> questions about ethics and epistemology in their research practices.
>
> Participants in this conference will include individuals from
> diverse methodological and disciplinary areas, such as education,
> social work, anthropology, urban studies, the humanities, and the
> health professions. The conference will emphasize the implications
> of practices in research design, data collection, analysis and
> writing of research that involves immigrant populations. These
> conversations will include concerns related to Institutional Review
> Boards, as well as those that move beyond IRB, including
> presentation and dissemination of findings, sharing of research
> design, and advocacy issues.
>
> We invite proposals that address researchers’ dilemmas as they move
> into, through, and beyond their work with immigrant communities.
>
> To sustain and extend the work and conversations of this conference,
> we will select a small number of conference presentations for
> revision and publication in a peer-reviewed edited book.
>
> SUBMISSIONS
>
> We encourage the following types of submissions:
>
> Individual Presentations, such as research reports or academic
> papers, artistic expressions or performances, and structured dialogs
> between researchers and community partners about negotiating
> research dilemmas and processes.
>
> Symposia of three or four related research reports or academic papers.
>
> For more information about themes addressed by the conference and to
> submit a proposal, please visit www.cehd.umn.edu/Immigrant-Research.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Kendall A. King
Associate Professor, Second Languages and Cultures
http://cehd.umn.edu/CI/Faculty/King.html
Fall office hours: most Thurs. 11:00-12:00, and most Weds 11:00-12:00,
and by appt.

Editor, Language Policy  http://www.springer.com/linguistics/applied+linguistics/journal/10993

University of Minnesota / College of Education and Human Development
228 Piek Hall, 159 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0208